Sunday, January 31, 2010

reading, writing, thinking

Good books this weekend: Mary Oliver's Rules for Dance (thanks Kelly!) and Wiillem Van Schendel's A History of Bangladesh.



Matan wanted to know why Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the "Father of the Country," was assassinated in 1975, and, you know, none of the newspapers talk about the situation in the country before the overthrow. Perhaps this is because the current government is so closely related to the one overthrown and history is now being written in this direction. Anyway, I was ready to read and this book was one that I'd started before. Turns out that, as I tell my students, I could read just the sections I was interested in that day, and went backwards and forwards as my interests lead me.

Good conversations, esp with Lendy and Tom, about our expectations and work here as fulbrighters. Maybe having the tickets back to the States (June 12th) now sets a very real deadline for anything else I want to see and do.

So, it's time to get to work. Lots to do before teaching tomorrow. Classes are challenging as I strive to find the middle ground between expecting too much and too little, explaining too much or too little, and listening carefully to what the students are saying and not saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment